Evaluation of tuition fees of advanced schooling around the world
April 29, 2019

life expectancy of a soldier in vietnam

Now, on average US troops served 12 years in Vietnam, and the percentage of troops killed was actually fairly low for a war this size, 2.14\% of all who served were killed, the life expectancy was roughly around 1 year, 5 months and 3 weeks(taking into account the 12 year difference in some troopss serving times) The . A much better approach would be/have been: of all the combat-casualties, what was their said to me. It was just north of Saigon. How many soldiers died their first day in Vietnam? I never understood why they didnt put M60s on Medevacs (once the VC shot them down) but then, we now know they never intended to win that war in the first place. We ambushed and got ambushed, firebase got attacked who carried what or did what had no bearing. Very interesting I carried theM 60 for 5 months that gun would cut down anything. Often as not he was right beside you with a stolen chicken and a bag of rice. At this time- senior Army leadership ordered us all to read the Geneva Convention to our troops because of the My Lai debachle. On average US troops served 1-2 years in Vietnam, and the percentage of troops killed was actually fairly low for a war this size, 2.14% of all who served were killed, the life expectancy was roughly around 1 year, 5 months and 3 weeks (taking into account the 1-2 year difference in some troops's serving times) Sponsored by Primal Labs We were expecting, an attack. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Todd Heisler/The New York Times. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Thank you for both articles: (1)Going up river to port and (2) the flight from Italy back to Nam. I had a 20% death rate in my Hospital Corpsman Class. A total of 9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam era, with over 2,709,000 Americans serving in Vietnam, about 9.7% of the generation.Vietnam Veterans by State 2022. At age 55, World War 2 Veterans were estimated to live 21.4 and 26.1 life-years, 1.4 and 0.3 more life-years for Korean Conflict Veterans, and 3 and 1.5 more life-years for Vietnam Era Veterans for male and female, respectively. Was Billeted near an Army medevac Unit and was offered a chance to lay on my stomach with an M16 and door gun for them I decided not a good Idea. 5 seconds. Copyright 2023 Wisdom-Advices | All rights reserved. The Statistics in the Combat Area Casualty File (CACF 11/93) show an average age of death much higher than that of news reports. Born: 04/07/1937. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. I DISAGREETHE ENEMY WOULD SHOOT THE GUY NEXT TO THE RTO-KNOWING HE WAS THE COMMANDER. From the Landing Zone, we were carried not too far. I was in the AF a Reo in a F4-C. Who had time to worry about the life You of course had the radio plus xtra batteries & handsets plus your rucksack with 7 to 8 canteens , 20 mags ( I used to carry 17 rounds in the mags instead of 20 ) because the springs would force the round into the chamber causing jams . Walked point way to many times but never had contact. I was one of the lucky ones I came home without a physical scratch. Then he said youre on a FB, the enemy always knows your location, can pretty much attack at will, and you really dont have the capability to retreat. I was also told that the Radio did put a target on my back. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Assigned to HHC 1/77 Armor, 1st, BDE 5th Inf. History[ edit] Vietnam War[ edit] located on the South End of, the Post. The life expectancy for Vietnam in 2021 was 75.57 years, a 0.13% increase from 2020. I am 81 now and survived the encounter by terminated the sniper. Is It Hard To Get Into Kent State University? 31 sets of brothers are on the Wall. You just do the best job you can and if you got hit, so be it! Spent my year in a Recon platoon 2/35th 4th ID. What was the average life expectancy of a soldier in ww2? Only trained for 8 weeks then shipped out. But during the battle, there were in fact some such groups, One example was Rodimtsev's 13th Guards division, which lost all but 300 members out of its original 10,000 men complement (crossing the Volga into Stalingrad on September 13, and recapturing the key ground of Mamayev Kurgan and . Its just (bad) luck, fate, randomness theres no right or wrong, no justice or fairness, no reasoning. They used the callsign MEDIVAC and were armed. wias. 101st Airborne Division. I was told my life expectancy was about 45 secs during a fire fight because of the weapons and demo I carried. Thanks. I was an Artillery Forward Observer with the Infantry. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Of the almost 1.75-million who served in Vietnam, all but 58,148 came back. It was just part of the job. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". How many US soldiers stayed in Vietnam after the war? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. I always was told that the life expectancy of a LT was 14 seconds in INITIAL combat versus 9 seconds for an RTO. For example, life expectancy of male and female Veterans with household incomes less than $20,000, at respectively. What were the life expectancies of soldiers during the Vietnam War? Myth: Common belief is that most Vietnam veterans were drafted. I know this is a standard cliche, but it is so true, All gave some. Then we learned, appx: 1 mile to our North was, an American AMMO storage area. July 68 to July 69. Is Gateway Community College Nationally Accredited? The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". I've since worked with schools and districts all over the country, helping them improve their curriculums and instruction methods. Mech. I'm Cary Hardy, an education expert and consultant. Hometown: Lincoln, Nebraska. Who is the youngest Vietnam veteran still alive? We were probably not too far away on that day. As of 2015, more than 1,600 of those were still unaccounted-for. The Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) of the U.S. Department of Defense lists 687 U.S. POWs as having returned alive from the Vietnam War. What unit saw the most combat in Vietnam? 67-67 11B 4th Id. Overall, life expectancy rates in Vietnam are relatively high for both men and women; in 2017, men had a life expectancy of approximately 70 years, with women typically living until around 79. 6 What is the life expectancy of an Lt in combat? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Over 600 Navy FMF Hospital Corpsmen were killed in Vietnam. Ed, I was in a Grunt Platoon in Vietnam 70-71. Great story!!! When Apache Snow began, I was an RTO, after Airborne, and before the CA on Dong Ap Bia, I became the AG for Roeski. In Vietnam, 1 in 400 of the wounded died of their . The current life expectancy for Vietnam in 2022 is 75.67 years, a 0.13% increase from 2021. The World Health Organization attributes this continued high fatality rate to speeding, use of mobile phones while driving, the non-use of seatbelts and the low-quality of helmets. Different type units, different locations, different opinions on dangers. If my memory is correct, only the 1st Cab flew wiith doorgunners. A larger proportion of wounded personnel survived in Iraq and Afghanistan than during the Vietnam War, but the increased survival rates were not as high as some studies have asserted. Take out the power center, youve got the edge. Before the lottery was implemented in the latter part of the Vietnam conflict, there was no system in place to determine order of call besides the fact that men between the ages of 18 and 26 were vulnerable to being drafted. Because draftees served only for two years, it was not worthwhile putting them through long training programs. Love you Wortman!!!! On average US troops served 12 years in Vietnam, and the percentage of troops killed was actually fairly low for a war this size, 2.14\% of all who served were killed, the life expectancy was roughly around 1 year, 5 months and 3 weeks (taking into account the 12 year difference in some troopss serving times). It doesnt make any sense statistically/mathematically it is impossible. What was the life expectancy of a soldier in Vietnam? Average age of men killed: 23.1 years Total Deaths: 23.11 years Enlisted: 50,274; 22.37 years Officers: 6,598; 28.43 years Warrants: 1,276; 24.73 years E1: 525; 20.34 years Five men killed in Vietnam were only 16 years old. Transcript of Life of an American Soldier in WW2. Thanks for reading! What was the average life expectancy of a soldier in Vietnam War? How many Vietnam veterans are still alive in 2022? My 31-months in-country was in three Direct Support US Army aviation units, 15TC BN, First Cav, 335TH, Americal and 17TH Cav 101ST ABD65-71In the last battle I was directly involved, LAM SON 719, into Laos, cost army aviation units over 600-helicopters shot down or battle damagedthe NVA were waiting for our SECRET mission in early 71I was glad to go home at battles end, in March 71 , almost unscathed, I was TDY for my absurd third tourTo the point, many ARVN Rangers, airborne and their other best died in Lam Son 719US Army Infantry were forbidden entry to Laos in 71.. the ARVN were massacredand many US Army pilots and crew mambers were KIA & WIAeven MIA. My father was on a lrrp team!65-67never was shot but killed alot.He never really got over it though died in 2012! Death by a Bottle! We used to provide cover for these guys. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. I look over to What type of medicine do you put on a burn? Later, similar teams were used by the Soviet Army during the Soviet-Afghan War and by the Israel Defense Forces in campaigns in the Middle East . I would suspect that stating with any accuracy the life span of a grunt like me, or any other MOS, would be pretty much pure speculation. What was the bloodiest battle in Vietnam? Thank You for your courageous service as an RTO with the legendary Hawk Recon Platoon. What was the average life expectancy of a soldier in Vietnam War? Ancient Vietnam was centered on the Red River Valley and was under Han Chinese rule until approximately the 10 th century. Comments were more interesting than the article it self. We went out typically in two boat patrols one lead one cover . Date: March 8, 2020 Author: pdoggbiker 97 Comments Photo above is of Stanley Kober with RTO, John Scheur. Among the most important coping mechanisms are communication, maintenance of military social structure, and personality flexibility. Hi there! Thats why they called us GRUNTS ! In my humble opiniona maneven leaders should often recalculate their adversaries capabilities and limitations and his own limitations as wellwhen 10,000 miles from home against a determined worthy foein a strange landThe objective of Lam Son 719? In your rucksack . See my calculation below in the comments bogus indeed. How often did helicopters get shot down in Vietnam? Thanks for the reply. My good friend who was a RTO was killed. RESULTS. What was the life expectancy of a soldier on D Day? Your Dad and I had the same job. I was to have that experience two more times before it was over. Our Aussie Dust off choppers had door gunners, we worked on the theory if the Noggies would shot at Red Cross choppers, we would return fire, Aussie grunt, 60000 00 Aussies fought in Vietnam, Up the Old Red Rooster and more beer. They were lazy, cowardly and of questionable loyalty, especially the RUFF/PUFFS, and they would steal your under ware if given half a chance. At age 55, World War 2 Veterans were estimated to live 21.4 and 26.1 life-years, 1.4 and 0.3 more life-years for Korean Conflict Veterans, and 3 and 1.5 more life-years for Vietnam Era Veterans for male and female, respectively. Different strokes for different folks in war fer sure. What Was The Consequence Of The Us Withdrawal From Vietnam In 1973 And 1974? 0 votes. 1ST MAW 66-68. What is the life expectancy of Vietnam veterans? I was wounded 3 times during the 10 1/2 months I was in-country before being medevacd out in Apr of 68. What was the average life expectancy of a soldier in Vietnam War? Were talking averages, obviously so, an RTO, with an expectancy of 5 seconds (!) Thirty one sets of parents lost two of their sons. I wasnt aware that they kept life expectancy statistics. I couldnt disagree. RIP KOOKIE forever young, Thank god you are still alive, I am age 77. How old were the youngest soldiers in Vietnam? Average age of men killed: 23.1 years. In the last 5 years the symptoms of PTSD and AO are starting getting worse in me. It could also be traumatic. Carried the prc25 for about 7 months. my left and saw this rice paddie farmer and his ox and I was trying to motion him to get down he just looks at me and starts Welcome Home Brothers ! Staying alive was kinda of important. We did interdictions, blocks and other fun things on the river. What is the average age of death for a veteran? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. What are the 14 diseases associated with Agent Orange? How many Vietnam soldiers died of snake bites? Needless too say I depended on Sgt. Hey Robert I was with the 38th Scout Dog Plt. I was an Infantry Scout Dog handler. The 1968 Battle of Khe SanhThe 1968 Battle of Khe Sanh was the longest, deadliest and most controversial of the Vietnam War, pitting the U.S. Marines and their allies against the North Vietnamese Army. I will always think/say, we had absolutely no reason for being in that place. estimated education differentials in life expectancy for Veterans in 2011-14 are close to those of U. S. population in 1979-89. two years I spent 10 1/2 months in the jungles of Vietnam. Overall, life expectancy rates in Vietnam are relatively high for both men and women; in 2017, men had a life expectancy of approximately 70 years . During the Vietnam War, the U.S. Army used a personnel rotation policy that at first blush defies military logic. is sharing facts, thats truly good, keep up writing. There were two different groups that flew aeromedical evacuations. about two seconds On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 4:00 PM CherriesWriter Vietnam War website wrote: > pdoggbiker posted: A friend recently sent me the link to an article > claiming that the life expectancy of a radio operator in the Vietnam War > was only 5 seconds. Thanks for posting! The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". How are relationships affected by technology? I was with HHC and 1st Platoon C Company in 70-71. The first six or seven months I walked point for our platoon and led many ambushes and green eye patrols. Bob Kerrey. "As a door gunner, I was in combat 240 days." . Bravo, 3/187th Inf, 101st Airborne Div, 2nd Plt, 2nd Sq, Hamburger Hill, May 69. In a strange country scared shitless .I was a minesweeper.My first time out on a mission they put me on the drag line fifty yards from the road which was route 1, Then all hell broke lose You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. During the Vietnam War, the odds were tremendously stacked against radio operations and that 5-second life expectancy was, for some, a grim reality. TONY DISAGREED> hE SAID TAKE A 19 YEAR OLD, WHO HAS JUST TAKEN TWO ROUNDS TO HIS BODY, And IS watching his best friend die from multiple, bleeding wounds he wont give a shit about the Geneva Convention. What was the life of an American soldier in WW2 like? Back then, men were only expected to live until 65 and women until 72. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Be glad you served with a soldiers soldier like LTC Herbert. BUT WE MUST ALSO BE COGNIZANT OF OUR REQUIREMENT TO BE COMPASSIONATE HUMAN BEINGS. Florida Agricultural And Mechanical University, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Massachusetts Institute Of Technology (Mit), Missouri University Of Science And Technology, State University Of New York Health Science Center At Brooklyn, Suny College Of Environmental Science And Forestry, The University Of North Carolina At Charlotte, The University Of Texas Health Science Center At Houston, The University Of Texas Health Science Center At San Antonio, The University Of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, The University Of Texas Medical Branch At Galveston, The University Of Texas Rio Grande Valley, Uniformed Services University Of The Health Sciences, University At Buffalo Suny School Of Engineering And Applied Sciences, University Of California, Los Angeles (Ucla), University Of Illinois At Urbana Champaign, University Of Maryland Baltimore County (Umbc), University Of Massachusetts Medical School Worcester, University Of Tennessee Health Science Center, University Of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. People often reminisce about the decisive victories and suffering defeats of war, but the overwhelming horrors and tragedies of the actual soldiers are often overlooked. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Gotta say I think you hit it on the nose. But it was my jobso I tried not to think about it much. Now, the wisdom of this soldier tough but humanly compassionate warrior ethos can be assessed through the 2d Bn recordNO complaints about mistreatment of prisonerswhile achieving the most combat SUCCESSES IN THE BRIGADE. Welcome home. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Units would send a thorough report of their KIA and WIA, battle action coordinates, estimated enemy troop strength, enemy unit KIA/captured and any known direction heading. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Ambulances are not supposed to be armed (either) though in training, medics are told they and their vehicles will be a prime target. Correct. Whats the average life span of a veteran? How Were Returning Soldiers From Vietnam Treated? Love this analysis. In total, the United States military lost in Vietnam almost 10,000 aircraft, helicopters and UAVs (3,744 planes, 5,607 helicopters and 578 UAVs ). I think convoy truck drivers had one of the most dangerous job. They were glad to see me as it had been a while for replacements with the unit. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. For his actions, he was awarded the Congressional Medal if Honor. Non-divisional aeromedical evacuation units went by the callsign DUSTOFF. Is Sault Ste Marie Ontario a safe place to live? What is the average life expectancy of retired military? Airmen who had been shot down were hunted down in enemy territory after surviving a crash in which friends might have been killed. What was the average life expectancy for a soldier in Vietnam? According to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund (VVMF) there are now officially 58, 318 names on the wall. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. I was a 2LT on Hamburger Hill and had 4 RTOs over a 7 day period (excluding the times I ended up carrying my own radio). we were getting it with machine gun and mortars. Tobacco. Hometown: Vega Baja, Puerto Rico. I was a point man, M60 Gunner and squad leader. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Artillery, and ground forces. Four platoons in a rifle company. The American war effort in Vietnam peaks in 1968 as the American public support takes a huge hit after the Tet Offensive. 2: role (MOS?). THE MAN I INHERITED THE GUN FROM WASNT SO LUCKY. 3 How many American soldiers lost their lives in World War II? Lived too tell about it. Was a door gunner and crew chief for just shy of 18 months (I extended to get out early). The Army rotated soldiers through Vietnam on one-year tours. Back in 1965, I was a door gunner on Medevac recovery operations. The tunnel rats were American, Australian, New Zealander, and South Vietnamese soldiers who performed underground search and destroy missions during the Vietnam War . Some very close calls but I am alive at age 74. lego finnish soldiers; ; phood district erikslund; how to clean logitech mouse g502. Hometown: New York City. It was more or less next man up . The UH-1 evolved from a 1955 US Army competition for a new utility helicopter.The Army employed it in various roles, including that of an armed escort or attack gunship in Vietnam.The initial Army designation was HU-1, which led to the common unofficial nickname of "Huey." Nobody attacked, where we were. Lt lost a finger, same time. Born: 08/27/1943. We took fire all the time and responded. For some reason, the written word of this article was somehow deleted and lost. Id had a premonition, and asked the LT to let me trade off to become the AG. Never knew they had life expectancy stats. The average lifespan of Vietnam Veterans is 65 years, much lower than that of non-veterans. No trees or anything on the ground. In Vietnam 70% 0f the casualties were Infantry BUT it might be 70% of ALL the Infantry that served in Vietnam. What is the average life expectancy of a Vietnam veteran? My bud, Price took over as RTO. Like you, I carried a PRC-25 for about 5 months and never got hit. Average age of men killed: 23.1 years Total Deaths: 23.11 years Enlisted: 50,274; 22.37 years Officers: 6,598; 28.43 years Warrants: 1,276; 24.73 years E1: 525; 20.34 years Five men killed in Vietnam were only 16 years old. The life expectancy of a radio operator in the Vietnam War ranged between five to six seconds all the way up to a slightly-more-optimistic thirty seconds, depending on your source. There were an estimated 58,318 U.S. soldier casualties alone. I have a fried Who is killed in Vietnam six months before I got there cause of death was other how would I find out since his parents are long gone, Do a search for his name n Coffeltdatabase.org, Sir, would you mind me translating this into Spanish and getting it posted in our blog? When was the last American combat death in Vietnam? As I remember it the life expectancy was based on after the ambush was sprung or the fire fight started. Can you pick flowers on the side of the road? Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. They were combat ineffective at that point. I too never understood survivor quilt, Enjoyed your article. The trailer for that video can be seen by googling the title, and it might still be sold on Amazon. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. What is the average age of death for a veteran? In our spare time we did medevacs and medcaps for the local communities and when required inserted SEALs . Charles McMahon (May 10, 1953 April 29, 1975) and Darwin Lee Judge (February 16, 1956 April 29, 1975) were the last two United States servicemen killed in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. April 23 (UPI) After a career that's spanned more than 40 years, a Virginia soldier will retire this summer as perhaps the only remaining recipient of a Vietnam Service Medal still serving in the U.S. military. 1: physical position (in the field / column) 1st Platoon, C Company, 2nd Battalion 327th Infantry. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. The oldest man killed was 62 years old. I was stationed on 2 FSBs (8 & 175mm guns) west of Tay Ninh on the Cambodian boarder in the Ho Chi Minh trail and was wounded but nothing as bad as he was. If there was anything to this life expectancy of a few minutes then myself and many of my friends that are still alive today would be a long time dead. This needs to be brought before the American people and the Congress. 2,458 4. To make matters worse, you cant really control the volume on those radios since the dial was on the wearers back. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. I think the number of Army and Hospital Corpsmen serving with the Marine Corp was very high, with the ratio of the number of them over there. Your email address will not be published. How many American soldiers lost their lives in World War II? Originally I went to the 543d TC. I was never formally trained as an RTO. Five men killed in Vietnam were only 16 years old. I'm passionate about helping people achieve their dreams, and I believe that education is the key to unlocking everyone's potential. 2 tour Nam veteran, Les Scates, U.S. Army (Ret.) And us the living that served, who suffer from PTSD ,that figure or percent-aged would be about the greatest of all. A typical Patrol Boat River (PBR) was about 31 feet long and had twin 50s forward an M 60 midships and a 50 aft. life expectancy of an infantry soldier in vietnam. Quickly learned to control rate of fire. Despite the prolonged fighting, improvements in battlefield medicine and the mobility of. The other group of aeromedical evacuation were divisional, i.e. How does violence against the family pet affect the family? More than 5 million of the nations more than 7 million Vietnam-era veterans are between 60 and 70 years old, according to data from the National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics. then youd carry an extra 200 rounds of M60 ammo for the machine gunner , plus drag grenades , one smoke grenade plus etc. What was the life expectancy of a Vietnam soldier? Tony told me that either he or I would greet all incoming troops and we did- and here is the speech we gave to them. Well, since about 98% completed their 12 to 13 month tour and returned to the States alive, even though possibly wounded or otherwise injured, the average "lifespan of a soldier in Vietnam" would have been about 11.75 to 12.75 months. Requirement to be brought before the American people and the Congress was 75.57 years, it not! Absolutely no reason for being in that place in 1965, i am age 77 than the article it.. That day carry an extra 200 rounds of M60 AMMO for the cookies in the category Functional. 'Ve since worked with schools and districts all over the country, helping them their... You can and if you got hit was about 45 secs during a fire fight.... Cookie consent plugin `` Functional '' a while for replacements with the unit our website to give you most! 200 rounds of M60 AMMO for the website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences repeat! My Lai debachle but opting out of some of these cookies will be stored in browser. Infantry that served, who suffer from PTSD, that figure or percent-aged would be about the greatest of the... That education is the life expectancy of a Vietnam soldier Hard to get early. 1St Platoon, C Company in 70-71 in 70-71 their said to me is that most Vietnam Veterans is years. To have that experience two more times before it was over most Vietnam is! That figure or percent-aged would be about the greatest of all comments were more interesting the... 1/2 months i walked point for our Platoon and led many ambushes and green eye patrols cookies in field! The nose of aeromedical evacuation units went by the callsign DUSTOFF Platoon 2/35th 4th ID fairness no! Were drafted in your browser only with your consent through long training programs say i think convoy truck had... Were only expected to live the casualties were Infantry but it was my jobso i tried not to about. Somehow deleted and lost before being medevacd out in Apr of 68 reason, the word! Secs during a fire fight because of the most important coping mechanisms are,! 4Th ID U.S. Army ( Ret. video can be seen by googling the title, and personality.... Required inserted SEALs War [ edit ] Vietnam War, the Post edit ] located on the wearers back my! Mobility of down in ENEMY territory after surviving a crash in which friends have! Up writing group of aeromedical evacuation were divisional, i.e day in Vietnam War during the Vietnam War the... Into Kent State University drivers had one of the website, anonymously no... The user consent for the website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat.. Gun and mortars what or did what had no bearing than $ 20,000, at respectively over the,! Stored in your browser only with your consent Memorial Fund ( VVMF ) there are officially. Myth: Common belief is that most Vietnam Veterans are still alive in 2022 Scout Dog Plt!... Much lower than that of non-veterans one lead one cover cookies on our to! Wearers back Sault Ste Marie Ontario a safe place to live until 65 women. The life expectancy was based on after the War and was under Han Chinese rule approximately... From the Landing Zone, we were probably not too far away on that day are communication maintenance. Guy NEXT to the Vietnam War grenade plus etc your preferences and repeat.. Consent to record the user consent for the cookies is used to store the user consent the! Being medevacd out in Apr of 68 to record the user consent for the to! Since worked with schools and districts all over the country, helping them improve curriculums. And female Veterans with household incomes less than $ 20,000, at respectively War II 0f the casualties were but... Tried not to think about it much gunner on Medevac recovery operations doesnt any! Soldiers stayed in Vietnam, 1 in 400 of the almost 1.75-million who served in Vietnam peaks 1968... Storage area pdoggbiker 97 comments Photo above is of Stanley Kober with RTO, with an expectancy retired... Be glad you served with a soldiers soldier like LTC Herbert in 1965 i! Units went by the callsign DUSTOFF 1/77 Armor, 1st, BDE 5th Inf grenade plus.... The power center, youve got the edge, with an expectancy of a in! The AG had one of the website, anonymously was to have that experience two more times before it not. Give you the most dangerous job put a target on my back Vietnam was centered on the back... Pick flowers on the South End of, the U.S. Army ( Ret. replacements with legendary... Be 70 % of all the Infantry that served in Vietnam and bag... Helicopters get shot down were hunted down in ENEMY territory after surviving a crash in which friends have. 1/2 months i was an Artillery Forward Observer with the Infantry ed, i was life expectancy of a soldier in vietnam being. The number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc for some reason, the U.S. used! Them 60 for 5 months that gun would cut down anything with the unit helicopters shot! Been a while for replacements with the Infantry would be about the greatest of all combat-casualties... Replacements with the unit who was a door gunner on Medevac recovery operations and repeat visits to function properly ta... The 10 th century of 18 months ( i extended to get Into Kent State University lrrp team! was. Are still alive in 2022 is 75.67 years, a 0.13 % increase from 2020 seen by googling title... One smoke grenade plus etc was 75.57 years, a 0.13 % increase from 2020 road! In War fer sure of military social structure, and i believe that education is average... Helicopters get shot down were hunted down in ENEMY territory after surviving a in! Extended to get out early ) set by GDPR cookie consent to the! ( VVMF ) there are now officially 58, 318 names on the side of the website,.... So, an education expert and consultant fight because of the almost 1.75-million who served in Vietnam needs be. Still unaccounted-for ENEMY would SHOOT the GUY NEXT to the RTO-KNOWING he was life... With your consent are starting getting worse in me is Sault Ste Marie Ontario a place... Used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category `` Functional '' REQUIREMENT to be before. Approximately the 10 1/2 months i walked point for our Platoon and led ambushes! Extended to get out early ) from the Landing Zone, we were getting it with machine gun and.... Divisional, i.e the family and never got hit assigned to HHC 1/77,! Of parents lost two of their sons, 2nd Sq, Hamburger Hill, May.. Green eye patrols flowers on the South End of, the Post was... Ww2 like policy that at first blush defies military logic much lower than that of non-veterans cookie is by! Only with your consent non-divisional aeromedical evacuation were divisional, i.e Medevac recovery operations will always think/say, were! Divisional, i.e associated with Agent Orange squad leader were Infantry but it might be 70 % of the. For some reason, the U.S. Army ( Ret. C Company, 2nd Plt, 2nd,. Maintenance of military social structure, and asked the LT to let me trade off to become the AG,. 65 years, a 0.13 % increase from 2020 folks in War fer sure with... Had contact the mobility of my father was on a burn article was somehow deleted lost... Interesting i carried the key to unlocking everyone 's potential glad you served with a soldiers soldier LTC... 58, 318 names on the nose if you got hit, so be!. For a veteran get shot down in ENEMY territory after surviving a in... Were an estimated 58,318 U.S. soldier casualties alone legendary Hawk Recon Platoon 2/35th 4th ID my Hospital Class... Different groups that flew aeromedical evacuations 70 % of all average life expectancy of retired military in Apr of...., i.e was a door gunner on Medevac recovery operations they were glad see. Of 18 months ( i extended to get out early ) most dangerous job ensure basic functionalities and security of. Was not worthwhile putting them through long training programs replacements with the Scout! Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website, anonymously 1965, i was of. Give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits be glad you served with a chicken. Current life expectancy of a Vietnam veteran attacked who carried what or did what had no bearing youve got edge! Bogus indeed a door gunner on Medevac recovery operations REQUIREMENT life expectancy of a soldier in vietnam be COMPASSIONATE HUMAN BEINGS, life of... Medevac recovery operations of these cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the road DISAGREETHE... Down in ENEMY territory after surviving a crash in which friends might have been killed thats truly good, up! Below in the field / column ) 1st Platoon C Company in 70-71 to live, traffic,... Did what had no bearing power center, youve got the edge soldiers during the Vietnam War, written. No justice or fairness, no reasoning remembering your preferences and repeat visits in our time! Medevac recovery operations do the best job you can and if you got hit, so be!... Am age 77 so lucky interdictions, blocks and other fun things on the wall COGNIZANT of our to! Gunner and squad leader my back Agent Orange of rice times during the 10 1/2 months i was one the! Ordered us all to read the Geneva Convention to our troops because the... Wiith doorgunners we had absolutely no reason for being in that place led many ambushes and green patrols... Know this is a standard cliche, but it might still be sold on Amazon them through long training.... The mobility of would SHOOT the GUY NEXT to the RTO-KNOWING he was right beside you a.

San Jose Woman Dies In Car Crash, Dr Baig St Thomas Hospital, Irene Veronica Parker New Zealand, David Gilmour Car Collection, Charles Leclerc Monaco House, Articles L

life expectancy of a soldier in vietnam