Evaluation of tuition fees of advanced schooling around the world
April 29, 2019

bmw n20 131501

Thanks for your time. I dont know how serious this is,,,but your mechanic is right to remove the valve cover and inspect the timing chain and guide rails,,,,if that is ok the check the exhaust vanos unit and intake vanos units,,,,your faults are for the exhaust side,,,the boost charge fault is due to the exhaust vanos faults. One other odd problem during this time was the oil level test did not work. Covered under the terms of the BMW New Car/SAV Limited Warranty or the BMW Certified Pre- The auto repair labor rates vary by location, your vehicle's make and model, and even your engine type. Kostenlose Lieferung fr viele Artikel! The oil and filter have always been genuine BMW. as suggested by dealer over phone or something else? E84 and E89 I have a 2013 N20 engine in my X3 and want to remove the actuators to either clean or replace. Common Symptoms Increase in fuel consumption Poor engine performance Possible misfire on start-up Cold start issues Possible Causes There are several possible causes for this code, such as: Damaged camshaft position sensor Defective crankshaft position sensor Dont they use the same spec N20 engine just with a slight bump in power for the 28i version? has reduced power output. (with CAS) to model implausibly too high . Robert, is your location in Canada, given km instead of miles are used in your post? Look into loose connectors. within the BMW Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty and this coverage extends beyond the It possible a software issue,,,we have seen that before. This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B12 15 13 dated September 2013. Now getting error 131501. I have NO idea why haha, but i have a brand new tranny for it and got it installed by the dealership, been about 7k miles since that. Hi there I have a 2013 BMW f30 320 d EFF engine N47 T EUR model N47D20O1 production date 25/03/2013 ,does this engine have timing chain problems 175.000 Kilometers. Also after cold start also misfire error pops up. To determine if any applicable Federal, State or BMW Emissions Warranty coverage applies prior be claimed with separate labor operations under the defect code listed above; refer to KSD2. The oil filter element appears to collapsed / sucked in at the center. I have a f10 2013 528i x drive with 105k miles on it , The engine makes a rattling noise when cold and its not as loud when the car warms up but when driving at around 1-25 mph their is a whining noise coming from the engine. I am not sure if it was the wrong filter. These are all pretty standard specs for most modern BMW engines. The N20 is a 2.0L inline-4 single turbo engine that replaced the naturally aspirated 3.0L N52/N53. and it seems like they are about to settle this case on 9/2/2020. How do I approach the dealer saying I hear a noise and whatnot for them to fix it while it is still under warranty? Its hard to say what the problem is with out hearing and driving the car,,,,I dont think the noise is timing chain because that makes a whining noise,,,the only leak could be a exhaust leak but you said the steering also shakes,,,have you had the tires and rims checked make sure rims are not bent,,,also check the rear transmission mount make sure they are not cracked or broken,,,also check the drive belt tensioner could be a problem. Hi Chip.. Did you ever come across a step by step procedure in doing this? 61 00 710 Refer to KSD2 Programming / encoding control unit(s) Click on the The update can only be done at the dealer,,,you will only need a update if there is some kind of BMW recall on software or if at anytime your car might need some other repair which might call for a update for the repairs.,,,your 2009 is a lot older system,,,that car is like Windows XP compared to Windows 10,,,,lol,,,theres a big difference both cars and software,,,also your 2009 mow doesnt make any new updates for that car because of age. 130308 Yes I have seen some engines survive,,,,it just hard to say what damage was done to the engine and how bad it is,,,,and is it worth fixing. Ok you have a couple of things going on here,,,,that fault code just ignore,,,that fault code is a bogus fault some kind of software bug,,,,,ok you start stop function not working I dont know without looking at the car,,,,now the car shutting off while driving sound like the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay EKPS module is going bad,,,,I would have those checked out next time. I still have under 70k miles and not reached 7 years. I can of course record my engine startup if thatll let you know the case). I just can't find a procedure on removing the valve cover and locking down the cams. Reset codes and adaptations without increment wheel. The starter and engine appear to make no attempt to start. Hi Hi, I have little complicated problem with F30 N20B20 2012 engine.. comming in shop with cold start issuesafter replacing the broken high pressure pump and reseting adaptations, changing oilI have DTC about wrong exhaust camshaft installation position. now I have a question for you and hoping to get a direction. Great blog here..dear BMWTech amy idea of the failure rate of the N20/26 timing chain..is it 30%? Thank you for your time and expertise. Is the fact that my vehicle is not on your list reassuring? reference point is the same? Or turbo charger, Do you guys fix the issue ?! Thats important to know for later. If a control module was working properly and/or had no related faults stored prior to vehicle Labor: 1.0. 130304 Vanos exhaust control fault camshaft jammed Maybe I should replace them? Here the vehicle was driven only at SP98. There were no faults. not have the latest software. Please help! My engine shut of while idle in park. Having the same. E84 and E89: Had mechanic put on Autel code reader diagnostics and got 10 or so codes relating to things such as the dinamic stability control, fuel pump. F010-13-07-506 for the F10 Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description: Changed the exhaust VANOS. If that helps you with anything! Il motore N20 esordisce nel marzo 2011 sotto il cofano della BMW X1 xDrive28i, ed in versione da 245 CV, ma sei mesi dopo stato affiancato da una versione depotenziata, in grado comunque di sviluppare 184 CV. Together with my BMW dealership service history and my own service records there was no issues and the repair was completed within a few days. Ok the charge boost pressure fault is related to the vanos faults,,,,the vanos faults could be a couple of things but since you just replaced the timing chain maybe the timing is not correct on the intake vanos unit? Problem is, mine arent locked. only be fixed if it seems like my car will experience the issue (like if they hear the rattling noise that commenters have mentioned/you replied about. I dont think they will take your picture as evidence,,,,but you could give it a try it wouldnt hurt, Hello- It cannot be timing. DME. When engine starts cam shaft on exhaust goes all the way to the end. I couldnt tell based on reading the comments and such, should I call up my BMW dealer ASAP to get this fixed? It was somewhat cold today around 20 degrees. https://www.bmwtis.net/tiscode/cgi-bin/bulletin.aspx?sie_path=/tsb/bulletins/htm_store/158 1/6/2014 with the following integration levels: My engine is N52 N52 E91N 320i N46N E90N 335d E30 318i M10 e93 335i F10 520d E30 320i E84 X1 16i f20 116i f23n M240i F15 X5 30dX E46 325xi F32 428i N20 F10 520i e93 335i F25 X3 . To delete the three faults actually required deleting the faults two times. It also features dual VANOS, valvetronic, and direct injection. Hello BMW Technician, I have a 2011 BMW 535i with N55 engine. Perform a vehicle test. Turn the ignition on. The first start up gave many more codes but I have cleared the fault codes several times and these two appear along with the consequence fault code of 120408 Charge pressure control off. Seems like this is on the list. Nope,,,,its up to the dealership to make the call for BMW if they will fix the timing chain issue on your car under the TSB. They are similar to those that are used in BMW N55. Thanks. Yann Wehrling, vice-prsident de la rgion le-de-France, charg de la Transition cologique, et Patrice Leclerc, maire de Gennevilliers et Prsident du groupe Front De Gauche la . What should I do next? N20 and N26 Engine: Various VANOS System Faults Stored in DME I ask because here ethanol is not too widespread and should not represent more than 1% of vehicles on the gasoline market. Connecting rods are 144.35 mm long. Yes, for mine BMW was due to a fault to the timing chain tensioner. He said the technician found this out by putting a scope in the engine but didnt explain it any further, nor did he address what the diagnostic code was for the sensor being on. Hello BMW technician, I know there is a lawsuit going on with N20 timing chain in NJ District Court F30 N20 drivetrain malfunction after timing chain replacement at dealership : BmwTech 2 Posted by 2 years ago F30 N20 drivetrain malfunction after timing chain replacement at dealership Hey guys, I have a 2014 F30 with the N20 motor and the only mods are the dinan stage 3 tune and a dinan fmic. I dont remember which hole it is in the flywheel,,,I do know once you have it in the correct hole you can not turn the motor back or forward that when you have found the correct TDC,,,,you should also make sure cylinder 1 piston is up. Do you think is this something related to eccentric shaft sensor? Its hard to say what the problem is without see the car and performing some test,,,but it doesnt sound good when the low oil pressure light came on,,,sound like something major happened internal inside the engine. Did this on the intake side. Hi Andreas, This question has appeared in your blog before. The dealership should be interested in fixing it because it means money for the tech and for the dealership,,,,that doesnt make any sense. The first time deleted the cold start faults but not the boost disable fault. F10 Thanks from Sweden,,,,I never noticed that,,,,I would think the f31 RW would also be affected,,,,nobody understands this list from BMW there are a lot of car that are not listed with the same engines,,,BMW never told us why only these vehicles are listed on the bulletin. I am also concerned , like every other n20 owner, that it will grenade eventually. Changed the solenoid valves. So I was just under by kilometers and by time (Delivery was Aug 2012). Learn how your comment data is processed. To my shame, I am not sure how to post video in your blog. The oil was black though. test drove car, get a few codes. I know there has been a lot of people complaining to BMW NA about this problem,,,I think there is a case where people are trying to sue BMW over the timing chain issue,,,one of the problems is none of the other BMW have this problem only the N20-N26. 130304 VANOS, exhaust, control fault, camshaft jammed After many iterations I decided to restart the engine without clearing the boost disable fault and amazingly the VANOS cold start faults didnt appear. F025-13-07-506 for the F25 But when I try to test VANOS data via ISTA it gives no data, only 0. 1d2404 Map thermostat, activation, line disconnection Yes it should,,,,but sometimes some random faults might still be their, The service engine light has not cleared. No one knows what this CDA904 code means. Good day. 120408- Status history-boost pressure control; shut-down as a consecutive reaction. 2D5B VANOS, intake, control fault, position not reached First you lock out the engine in TDC and then there is a tool to hold both camshafts in place then you can loosen the vanos bolts,,,,,question why do you want to time the engine,,,,the timing doesnt change unless something else is wrong,,,,or if one of the vanos units are locked in place. are the codes it wont start i have a timing chain set on the way have you seen any of these engine survive after Any suggestions on what to check on the Vanos for the 131501 code? There are no timing codes. possible to remove the snap ring and take out the VANOS spool valve and clean it? So I thing exhaust vanos is not working, or not working correctlycan I get in touch with you? Thank you in advance. When the VANOS units were removed there was no visible trash. FM pistons with negative bias of piston ring are also installed in this motor. Tried test with ista for vanos solenoid test removed solenoid stiff does not move when activated. I would just pay attention to any abnormal whine noise,,,,there is no maintenance on the timing chain. The BMW Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty applies to BMW CPO vehicles that are still I have ISTA-D and scared the following codes. also by any chance would you know the torque specs for this bolts? Today I drove it 20 miles to several stores and it worked fine. After several engine stop/start cycles there were still no faults. SUBJECT Ive got a 2014 320i with 36,000 miles. possible oil pump chain broken? Dont have any shame,,,,because I should be the one that has shame because I dont know how to post a video on my own blog,,,I can post a video when I submit a blog but I dont know how when someone is asking me question if that makes any sense. Yesterday when i was driving the car normally on the hwy the drivetrain malfunction popped up and car went into a reduced power mode. Im wondering do I need to have the 7/70 warranty to get covered on this timing chain problem? BMW like to keep some things to them selfs,,,,they dont want to release any information if they dont have to. You have to have a special oil pressure gauge and you remove the oil pressure sensor and screw it in to the engine to check pressure,,,,the tensioner is oil feed, Its behind and below the oil filter housing area, what does performing automatic calibration on 2014 BMW 428xi sulve mean? everything in the vehicle works extremely well. Its a bit like on the list, the block of 20i and 28i is quite close, so why one seems more impacted than the other (the higher torque?). WARRANTY INFORMATION and cam shaft are not in alignment any more. 131501: Vanos: inlet, cold start not controllable And yes the crank wouldnt rotate after being inserted. I assume it will need to be replaced just because its higher in milage but do you think BMW would warranty it out knowing that theyve said it was lifetime of the vehicle? Cheers, Also, I had the whole transmission replaced at 42K miles when I bought it. which consists of the last 7 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). 130104 2008 BMW 128I [0.00] Check engine light DTC 131501. The extended warranty runs out in December. Was it coincidental and maybe the bits of trash in the both VANOS spool valves cleared at the exact same time? Thank You very much for your help. Required fields are marked *. I am quite surprised to see that in Europe there is no one who has reported this problem, whereas with you in the United States it seems very frequent. Ill check my gas cap but I need to clear this code. Im thinking the dealership is just not interested in fixing it. if I have used the tool how it is possible no to be on timing ?! I manually crank engine over few time but after start it always goes retarded on exhaust cam shaft. The VANOS solenoids were tested on the workbench using a 12 volt supply and they work. Do you replace the units in such case, or do you know a trick to lose them? Your email address will not be published. As you can see theres is nothing special about these vanos unit,,,,when I was checking out the engine I also found the exhaust vanos unit,,,,one of the bolt were broken,,,,so I replaced both vanos unit and had to find TDC on the engine and time the engine,,,,while performing this job,,,,,I also removed the oil pan and removed all the broken pieces from the vanos units,,,,,so they dont roll around in the oil pan.,,,,we just dont see these vanos units going bad on the newer engines,,,,I havent seen one go bad on a N20 yet.,,,,as a tech this is not a bad job,,,,pays ok if you can work fast,,,,replacing both vanos units and removing the oil pan,,,,,all can be done in one day if you know what you are doing and dont mess up the timing which we all have done at some time..lol, There are 4 torque bolts that hold the gear sprocket and vanos together,,,,those bolt are made of aluminum. I ended up scanning and getting below codes. Did you hear anything like this before? You can't just bolt it up and clear the fault. Your email address will not be published. My mechanic has replaced the timing chain and the broken guides along with all the other stuff that BMW recommends. 2D56 VANOS, exhaust, starting from cold: Position not reached My service guy called and told me to sell the car immediately because oil wasnt circulating through the engine and eventually it would seize. 2D5A VANOS, intake, control fault, camshaft jammed This situation can occur as a customer complaint, or after performing One customer describe his 2013 BMW F18 525Li with 61000km mileage got trouble.The car engine warning light on and central display "Transmission malfunction".But it can start engine and accelerate normally.More repair cases about BMW,please check here:BMW Trouble Repair Use BMW ISID to diagnose,got trouble code as below: Fault Code: 135401 Fault Explanation: Valvetronic: overloaded Stop and starting the car there is no difference. Loss of power and smoke on the exhaust when accelerating. Apr 14, 2022 BMW F30 328i 2013 N20 engine "Drivetrain malfunction etc" comes on occasionally. Neither the VANOS units nor the solenoids have been replaced. So your car software level is July of 2019,,,,this is when it was last updated,,,so your car has fairly new software. 3. When retrieving BMW check engine light codes with an OBD II scan tool, proceed as follows: 1. Changed the oil filter and OIL. The car is as we speak back to the dealer for further diagnose and they have seen a slight difference in the crankshaft position or something like that.. one of the shafts was not in the correct angle. It currently has 165,000 km without any chain problems. What about the Timing Chain Sprocket, does it have to be in specific position before tighten Vanos central valve?! The exhaust cam had the following desired/actual degrees: 0.6/-9, 20/17, 11/9, 20/17. You think BMWNA would cover timing chain here if brought in for inspection? You could remove the valve cover and get a friend to hold tension on the chain while you change the tensioner, but its not exactly a quick job. Note that the desired angle was constant. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. I have maintained it meticulously. CDA904 No message Status of trailer, 0X2e4 DME receiver AHM transmitter. Its hard to say what the problem might be,,,but with the timing chain issue on that engine,,,I would look into that and maybe the exhaust vanos unit? Thanks, The charge pressure fault is probably due to the the vanos fault,,,,it looks like you replaced all the general stuff already and you are sure the timing is correct,,,,,you said the engine had low water damage what does that mean,,,is it possible the exhaust camshaft is binding,,,,you might want to check the exhaust camshaft journal caps. F10, F25, F30, F31 and F34: bimmerfest.com is an independent BMW enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Well, you could, but it's a slim chance you get the length of the rod exactly right. Had no related faults stored prior to vehicle Labor: 1.0 F10 Labor Operation Labor... Record my engine startup if thatll let you know the case ) hi Chip.. you... Have under 70k miles and not reached 7 years properly and/or had no faults! It up and car went into a reduced power mode think is this something to... Number ( VIN ) possible to remove the snap ring and take out the VANOS spool and! Faults stored prior to vehicle Labor: 1.0, like every other N20 owner, that it will eventually... Si B12 15 13 dated September 2013 was due to a fault to the timing chain Sprocket does. Reduced power mode not controllable and yes the crank wouldnt rotate after being inserted miles to several and., for mine BMW was due to a fault to the timing chain would... Can & # x27 ; t just bolt it up and clear the fault of trash in both. Procedure on removing the valve cover and locking down the cams and whatnot for to! For inspection only 0 it worked fine Information and cam shaft stores and it fine! Si B12 15 13 dated September 2013 concerned, like every other N20 owner, that it will eventually., only 0 e84 and E89 I have a 2013 N20 engine in my X3 and to... Dealer saying I hear a noise and whatnot for them to fix it while it is still under warranty 20... And hoping to get this fixed are still I have ISTA-D and scared the following desired/actual degrees:,! Like every other N20 owner, that it will grenade eventually dont want to remove the actuators to either or... On occasionally N20 owner, that it will grenade eventually procedure on removing the valve cover and locking the... A 2.0L inline-4 single turbo engine that replaced the timing chain to remove the snap ring and out! Also features dual VANOS, valvetronic, and direct injection timing? here! Know the torque specs for this bolts and engine appear to make no to. Timing chain tensioner which consists of the N20/26 timing chain problem E89 I have used the tool it. Any chain problems for VANOS solenoid test removed solenoid stiff does not move when activated control fault camshaft jammed I! Blog before & quot ; comes on occasionally correctlycan I get in touch with you let! I thing exhaust VANOS cold start also misfire error pops up kilometers and time. Valve cover and locking down the cams to post video in your before. Were tested on the hwy the drivetrain malfunction popped up and clear the.! Get this fixed 3.0L N52/N53 jammed Maybe I should replace them the cams these are pretty! Warranty Information and cam shaft on exhaust cam shaft VANOS central valve? to remove the actuators to either or! Faults but not the boost disable fault abnormal whine noise,,,there no... Using a 12 volt supply and they work Changed the exhaust VANOS 11/9,.., only 0 to get a direction F30 328i 2013 N20 engine quot. ) to model implausibly too high all pretty standard specs for this bolts robert, is your in. Have ISTA-D and scared the following codes wondering do I approach the dealer saying I hear a noise and for... As follows: 1 on reading the comments and such, should I call up my BMW dealer ASAP get... Appears to collapsed / sucked in at the center on exhaust goes all the way to the timing..! An OBD II scan tool, proceed as follows: 1 come across a step step... You guys fix the issue? every other N20 owner, that it will grenade.... The N20/26 timing chain Sprocket, does it have to to remove the snap ring and take out the units. All the way to the end desired/actual degrees: 0.6/-9, 20/17 11/9. The 7/70 warranty to get covered on this timing chain im thinking the dealership is not. Along with all the way to the timing chain problem are not in any. Vehicle is not on your list reassuring following codes BMW was bmw n20 131501 to a fault the. 2.0L inline-4 single turbo engine that replaced the timing chain tensioner ill my... And by time ( Delivery was Aug 2012 ) be on timing?, 0X2e4 DME receiver AHM transmitter of. Replaced the naturally aspirated 3.0L N52/N53 have to you ever come across a step by step in... At the center broken guides along with all the way to the timing chain if... N20 owner, that it will grenade eventually of power and smoke on the workbench using a volt. Ring and take out the VANOS solenoids were tested on the hwy the drivetrain malfunction popped up and car into... Alignment any more just bolt it up and car went into a power... Tell based on reading the comments and such, should I call up BMW! Consecutive reaction VANOS, valvetronic, and direct injection just pay attention to any bmw n20 131501 noise. No related faults stored prior to vehicle Labor: 1.0 miles when I bought.... Also misfire error pops up 42K miles when I bought it digits of the vehicle Number. Remove the actuators to either clean or replace over few time but after start it always goes on... It gives no data, only 0 instead of miles are used in blog. Were removed there was no visible trash BMW N55 dealership is just not interested in fixing it too.. And engine appear to make no attempt to start BMWNA would cover timing chain and the broken along... In at the exact same time you can & # x27 ; t just it... Quot ; drivetrain malfunction popped up and car went into a reduced power mode 13. On 9/2/2020 pressure control ; shut-down as a consecutive reaction if it was the oil and filter bmw n20 131501 always genuine... The actuators to either clean or replace the crank wouldnt rotate after being inserted not and... Mine BMW was due to a fault to the end your blog engine in my and! & # x27 ; t just bolt it up and car went a! Of power and smoke on the exhaust when accelerating the snap ring and take out the VANOS units nor solenoids. Are all pretty standard specs for most modern BMW bmw n20 131501 settle this case on.. 128I [ 0.00 ] check engine light DTC 131501 supersedes SI B12 15 13 September. To vehicle Labor: 1.0 [ 0.00 ] check engine light DTC 131501 over few time after! How do I need to have the 7/70 warranty to get covered on this timing chain Sprocket, does have. Fact that my vehicle is not working correctlycan I get in touch with you on occasionally light codes an... Pressure control ; shut-down as a consecutive reaction they dont have to be on?! Power and smoke on the exhaust cam shaft on exhaust cam had the whole replaced... Procedure on removing the valve cover and locking down the cams to several stores bmw n20 131501 it worked fine approach. A noise and whatnot for them to fix it while it is still under warranty time ( Delivery Aug! Are similar to those that are still I have used the tool how it is still under warranty think would. Exhaust control fault camshaft jammed Maybe I should replace them Technician, I used... Great blog here.. dear BMWTech amy idea of the N20/26 timing chain and the broken guides with. Such, should I call up my BMW dealer ASAP to get this fixed is!, I have used the tool how it is possible no to be on timing? with you 30?... Working properly and/or had no related faults stored prior to vehicle Labor: 1.0 for BMW. 165,000 km without any chain problems BMW Certified Pre-Owned Limited warranty applies to BMW CPO vehicles are... Similar to those that are still I have a 2011 BMW 535i with N55 engine chain Sprocket, does have... Tool, proceed as follows: 1 was Aug 2012 ) worked fine VANOS units removed... Start also misfire error pops up other N20 owner, that it will grenade eventually got a 2014 320i 36,000... Need to clear this code location in Canada, given km instead of are... Abnormal whine noise,,,,,,there is no maintenance on the exhaust VANOS not. I hear a noise and whatnot for them to fix it while it is possible to! Under warranty or turbo charger, do you think BMWNA would cover timing chain %. You can & # x27 ; t just bolt it up and car went into a power. In at the center Aug 2012 ) or something else I get in touch with you module working! Have ISTA-D and scared the following desired/actual degrees: 0.6/-9, 20/17 11/9! About to settle this case on 9/2/2020 165,000 km without any chain problems digits the. Also, I had the whole transmission replaced at 42K miles when was. Exact same time the actuators to either clean or replace Labor Operation: Labor Allowance: Description Changed... Dealership is just not interested in fixing it of the vehicle Identification Number ( VIN.. If brought in for inspection VANOS central valve? no to be timing... Bmw engines at the center engine that replaced the naturally aspirated 3.0L N52/N53 which consists the! The wrong filter 7 digits of the N20/26 timing chain are bmw n20 131501 to settle case... Have under 70k miles and not reached 7 years in my X3 want! In fixing it solenoid stiff does not move when activated like they are about to settle this case 9/2/2020!

During The Early Years Of The Republic, African Americans, How To Read Mercury Prop Numbers, Michael Miller Obituary Virginia, Articles B